Christmas before last my BIL and his girlfriend at the time made Oreo balls to give out as Christmas gifts. I was hesitant to try one because (get ready for this) I don’t like chocolate that much, but my husband INSISTED on me trying one and ohhhhhh my goodness I’m glad I did! This is chocolaty, but not too much. They’re perfect, in just about every way. I got the recipe from him with the intentions to make some but never got around to it and after awhile the thought was lost, UNTIL, I was (of course) scanning Pinterest and I ran across these. Not only where these the delicious Oreo balls that I had forgotten about Christmases ago, but these were MINT Oreo Balls (I looooove mint!).
So when the kiddies were somewhat focused on watching TV and eating a snack one day I decided to throw these together (I use the term “throw together” very loosely here, it actually took about an hour to an hour and a half from beginning to end) and they came out JUST as amazing as I expected! The hardest part about making these is probably setting them down once you dip them in the chocolate without making them look completely disheveled. I got the hang of it around the last five, but no matter what they looked like, they all tasted yummy!
What you’ll need…
• One bag of mint Oreos
• One 8oz cube of cream cheese
• One 10oz bag of white chocolate morsels
• One teaspoon of peppermint extract
• 2-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
• Green food coloring (optional, I didn’t use)
How to make it…
• Take 3-5 oreos and finely crush in food processor (I used my magic bullet) and set aside in a bowl for later.
• Take remainder or Oreos and crush to finest consistency in food processor (also used my magic bullet)
• Take softened cream cheese and mix thoroughly with the crushed oreos (minus the first 3-5 you set aside earlier) until it reaches a gooey sticky dough consistency. Roll dough into small half inch balls and place on parchment paper and set in fridge to chill until you are done melting chocolate.
• Melt white chocolate morsels either over a double boiler or in the microwave with desired amount of vegetable oil (I used two tablespoons and placed the entire bag of chocolate in a large microwave safe mixing bowl and heated/stirred in 30 sec intervals until completely melted). After melted add one teaspoon of peppermint extract and stir until well blended. Add food coloring to reach desired green color (optional)
• Take Oreo balls and dip in the melted chocolate and set on parchment paper. (I did this by dipping the balls in the chocolate one at a time by setting them on a fork and letting the excess drip off the bottom before setting them down on the paper. Half way through I also added about 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and put it back in the microwave for 30 seconds and stirring to thin out the chocolate because it was starting to clump up)
• Once you have finished coating all your balls in chocolate take the small bowl of crush Oreos and sprinkle desired amount on top.
• Set balls in fridge to chill and let chocolate harden and enjoy! 🙂
Recipe via amandeleine.com